6.18.2008

Local Music - Nick Jaina


Portland musician Nick Jaina has been writing a tour diary over at Local Cut. It's extremely well written and thoughtful:

"I recently had a dream where I was asked to play second base for the New York Yankees. Just me, in my street clothes, with no particular baseball skill, suddenly asked to jump into the middle of a game and start playing. And instead of saying no I just stalled for a bit, looked for a uniform and a glove, made some weak excuses about what was taking so long, but otherwise prepared myself to go into the game. To play second base. For the New York Yankees.

Perhaps the Dream Messenger was telling me that I need to learn to say no to more things. And perhaps, Dream Messenger, you are right. Perhaps I take on too many things and get overwhelmed and try to keep all plates spinning at all times. Yes, perhaps fifty shows was too much to handle. Invariably some plates would fall to the ground and break. It’s been over a month now since the end of the tour and I can finally think again, so I couldn’t just let the tour diary end at West Texas, getting kicked out of an splintered row boat by a mean old man."

Mas?

Jaina has a number of upcoming concerts throughout the summer and fall along with another album release later in the year. All the songs were recorded live in the studio and will not be "hemmed and hawed." He also played some music over at Daytrotter back on the 6th of June.

Keep your eyes ahead,

johnson!

No comments: