10.14.2009

RIYL: soul-saving, joyful Americana, and travelling bands

Delta Spirit - Ode To Sunshine

preachin' the good on rounder records (2008)

I've been battling a gnarly fever/cold the past few days and have been neglecting the blog in exchange for plenty of fluids and free movies on TV. I'm not out of the woods quite yet, but it's safe to say I'll be back on my feet in a day or two and am already ready to start typing away again.

Today's post was inspired while cooking dinner the other night. The skies were dumping rain and the first scents of winter had me longing for something familiar and uplifting to soundtrack the turkey chili that was shaping up nicely on the stove. So I dug deep in my iPod's nether-space and pulled out Delta Spirit's "Ode to Sunshine," one of my favorite discoveries of last year and a band I'd expected to blow up huge by now.

The tunes this rambling San Diego group make are impossible not to like. They greet life with a bear-hug and want everybody to join in for the chorus. Elements of blues, soul, and gospel are played on a ragtag batch of instruments that includes trashcan lids, marching band drums, and harmonicas, the music set to lyrics about spirituality's blessings and people coming together. Rumor has it these boys can rock a mean live show as well. If you've got time for only a song or two, I recommend starting with "Trashcan," "People C'mon," "Strange Vine," or "Children." Look for their second album to be released sometime early next year.

Buy it at Insound!

Delta Spirit - Trashcan from La Blogotheque


No comments: