4.14.2009

HOMECOMING

Back in action! The adventures were many and unforgettable, but I'm glad to return home and dive into the music again. I made a point to leave the iPod and other modern gadgets at home for the duration of my trip, so I've had a late start on all that 2009 has offered so far.

The new Animal Collective record continues to blow my mind even after the 1,000th time I've played it. Though here are some of my other favorite leads . . .




Cotton Jones - Paranoid Cocoon

Retro-cowboy country folk at it's best. Lots of lonesome pastoral crooning, male/female duets, and twang for days. I'm a sucker for those galloping, Lambchop-inspired instrumental tracks as well. Give the excellent "By Morning Light" a shot.





Miike Snow - "Animal"

The lead single from this elusive pair of Scandanavian electro-producers has me pretty jacked for an upcoming full-length (release date???). "Animal" is the jam, and exactly what great dance-pop should be. It's fun, has a beat that's easy to keep, and stupid, stupid catchy. But that doesn't mean an exclusion of complexity and invention. The opening sequence of snowballing synth, guitar, and horn stabs instantly plant the track's looping riff in your head, and the unexpected piano breakdown during the bridge is a welcome touch of genius. Peep some serious game below.







More on the way, soon.

No comments: