9.14.2008

Return of the B-Boy Mixtape


Between digging through some of my old CD wallets and bumping Strictly Business (1988) at work, the past week was a reminder of just how deep (and I mean, DEEP) into Hip-Hop I was throughout the glory days of junior high and early high school. Rediscovering classics like Mobb Deep's The Infamous (1995), or Mecca and the Soul Brother (1992), records I once memorized from front to back, has taken me on nostalgic joy rides and inspired a renewed appreciation for the music.
  
All of this Hip Hop reminiscing meant I had to throw together a quick mixtape of some of my favorite cuts: 16 tracks that together do a pretty good job of non-chronologically spanning the gamut of Hip Hop's trajectory, from classic old school to some of the genre's more contemporary directions.  You gotta turn the volume up on this one.

Tracklisting:

1. EPMD - Let The Funk Flow, from Strictly Business (1988)


3. Ugly Duckling - I Did It Like This, from Journey To Anywhere (2000)

4. A Tribe Called Quest - Vibes and Stuff, from The Low End Theory (1991)

5. Gang Starr - You Know My Steez, from Moment of Truth (1998)

6. Pete Rock - Hip 2 Hip, from Soul Survivor II Sessions (2005)

7. Mos Def - Hip Hop, from Black On Both Sides (1999)

8. People Under The Stairs - The Breakdown, from Question in the Form of an Answer (2000)

9. Common - The People, from Finding Forever (2007)

10. Digable Planets - Black Ego, from Blowout Comb (1994)

11. Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Projects (P Jays), from So . . . How's Your Girl? (1999)

12. Blackalicious - My Pad and My Pen, from The Craft (2005)

13. Atmosphere - Modern Man's Hustle, from God Loves Ugly (2002)

14. Flying Lotus - 1983, from 1983 (2006)

15. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - I Get Physical, from The Main Ingredient (1994)

16. The Nonce - Mix Tapes, from World Ultimate (1995)

Click here to download the entire mixtape in a single folder.



No comments: